Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Tibet Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tibet 1912, Bisected 1 Trangka cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibet 1912, Bisected 1 Trangka cover
    Posted: 27 July 2015 at 11:52am

I have seen the shown cover with an (apparent, as per the description) bisect 1 Tr. in an auction offering and must admit that I never have seen a 1912 bisect before.

Any information on this item would be appreciated

Snow Lion View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2015 at 4:43pm
Hi !
The sPom mda' tshang family is a well known one, originating from Khams or Eastern Thibet, involved primarily in trade on a very large scale, and also in military and political affairs.
Well, this "crested" cover is indeed curious.
Concerning the "crest", the name wording in tibetan is erroneous:
"sPang mda' tshang" instead of "sPom mda' tshang". I have somewhere, but where (!?) one such (with no bisected, however),Pangdatsang cover. I have to check when I find it.
But, in the tibetan writing of the address, it is correctly written as "sPom", nevertheless, in the first occurrence of the name, it is clearly written as "sPom mdai'tshang" - i.e.: why this diacritical "i" added over the " a' " of " mda' " ?
Otherwwise, the tibetan writing of the address seems to read as:
To be presented to the "sPom mdai' tshang" in Phag ri (i.e. Pari)" and
"from the sPom mda' in rGyal rtse (i.e.Gyantse)on auspicious 18 day from 1st tmonth". [otherwise untranslatable].(For me !)
I have also noted that the cancel is probably a "negative" one, but illegible, and seems to be rather ovoïdal than circular.
And, of course, the wax seals are undecipherable.
Best ! Viel Spass und Erfolg bei der Forschung !
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2015 at 8:44am

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

The cover is not in my collection. It was part of a collection that sold some time ago (not to me) at David Feldman. However, I am on contact with the buyer of that collection and try to purchase the cover. As I understand, the cover currently is under examination (at BPA)..., will post news as soon as i have them.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic