Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The curse of 74 - Event Date: 20 October 2019 - 20 October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MalcolmC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: The curse of 74
    Posted: 19 October 2019 at 10:24pm
Any collector of Nepal postal history that can read the Devinagri script will have noticed that most early covers bear the numbers 74 on the back. I believe that this is a curse ( leave my mail alone or suffer) but I would like to know the origin. NO such explanation exists on the Internet that I can find.
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2019 at 10:26am

I believe it is a warning that anyone who tempers with the cover receives a punishment in the same value as 74 cows.

If i am not wrong, something like that was mentioned in the Tibet handbook of Waterfall.

gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2019 at 7:05pm
Yes, this is what I learned:

Wrong Person opening other's letter was cleverly deterred by writing ७४ (English 74) on the Envelope Joint. If a wrong Person opens the Envelope, he will be severely cursed. Equivalent to slaughtering 74-Cows. Hindus in Nepal go to worse Hell as a result of single Cow Slaughter. Imagine 74. No one dared open other's Post.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic