Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Internal cover sent as an "Air Document"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internal cover sent as an "Air Document"
    Posted: 18 August 2008 at 5:39pm

I have a Nepal 1972 (June 6) envelope from Birganj to the British Defence Attache in Kathmandu, without postage, but carried by Royal Nepal Airlines as an Air Document, with an air consignment note stapled to one corner (now detached) indicating a charge of 1Rupee 70 paisa. There are no postal markings. Does anyone have other examples, or more information about this service?

colinhepper View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 1:47am
I have been collecting Nepal for 40 years and have not come across the Air Document that you describe. If you wish I can have your question published in 'Postal Himal' the quarterly magazine of the Nepal & Tibet Philatelic Study Circle to see if any of our other members have come across one.
colinhepper
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 2:34am
Paul,

like Colin, I also have never seen such a cover. Can you post an image here? 
Poppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:40am
I have just seen this only having joined the forum recently.  I lived in Baglung (working on construction of a small hydroelectric plant for Baglung Bazaar) in 1978-9, and in those days Baglung had no road connection.  My post was collected by my organization from a PO Box in Kathmandu and once a week sent by "air document" to Balewa airport (3 hours walk from Baglung Bazaar.  I had to send a runner to the airport to pick up the air document and dispatch my outgoing mail in another air document.  You could send up to 500 grams in this manner for a flat rate of Rs 15, if I recall correctly (around USD 1.50, at the time).  This service was offered by Royal Nepal Airlines to any airport they flew to, some of which, like Balewa airport were staffed only at the arrival times of the weekly flight from Kathmandu.  If your man was not at the airport when the plane arrived, you could go to the private residence of the airline staff at Balewa to get your air document.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic