Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unknown Nepal (Post) Marking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unknown Nepal (Post) Marking
    Posted: 14 March 2016 at 4:07am

Greetings,

does any member knows the marking on the classic cover shown below? So far  failed to identify it.

colinhepper View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2016 at 6:36am
Hi Ed
If you could show the other side of the cover, it should say where it was sent from and give us a clue as to what the post office could be.
Regards

Colin
colinhepper
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2016 at 7:14am

Hi Colin,

I am currently on Business trip and do not have an image of the reverse side. Will post as soon as i can.

Regards

Rainer (not Ed)

gemtree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2016 at 3:11am
Dear Rainer,

Obviously an item from sometime after 1928 based on the one anna type II telegraph era stamp.  At first glance, the "postmark" looks more like an institutional governmental office seal of some type rather than a true postal marking.  I have seen a couple of covers with telegraph era stamps cancelled with similar seals that appeared to have been produced in the 1950's or 1960's to mimic a contemporary (1920's to 1930's) postal use of the telegraphic issues.  This seal is different; but the general character of the cover is very similar which makes me suspect that it is probably a philatelic contrivance from a later era than the stamp would lend one to expect.   However, I learned a long time ago that virtually anything is possible when it comes to Nepalese philatelic material.   Therefore, it is not impossible that it is a legitimate item.   The information on the other side of the cover will hopefully help settle the issue.

Best regards, Ed Gosnell
gemtree
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2016 at 11:06am

Greetigns,

here is now the front side of the cover. Any help appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic