Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Tibet Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tibet 1933 issue, 7 1/2 Tr. rate Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibet 1933 issue, 7 1/2 Tr. rate Cover
    Posted: 20 May 2015 at 2:51pm
Since some time i have the shown cover in my collection.

The front of the cover is a "postal stationary" front...., i call it like this as I have several of these covers, all with the same forwarding handstamp and registration marking, I even have a mint, unused envelope of them. I wrote a short article some time ago for Postal Himal.

The registered cover bears a T-92 registration marking, sent from Lhasa to Phari. 4 Trangka correct postage postmarked in LHASA.

However, in Phari, the 3 additional stamps (each one of 1/2 Tr. 1 Tr. and 2 Tr.) were added and postmarked Phari.

Since 4 Trangka is enough postage I have no explanation why 3 stamps were added in Phari.

Who can explain the reason/rate? The cover does not look like philatelic.

Snow Lion View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 5:16pm
Hi !
First,I don't remember your article in P.H., but possibly this was in one of the issues I never received, being either definitively lost due to the deficiencies in our modern postal system, or perhaps seized by chinese censorship ! Who knows !?
Otherwise and more seriously, it seems from the directional mark that this was sent from Lhassa (seemingly from "Red Hat Financial Office"), to an office [illegible] in Phag-ri, on an auspicious month and day, (unfortunately none numbered, but anyways, as there is no mention of the year, this is absolutely unimportant and uninteresting!!!)
Furthermore, did you check if the the colors of the stamps are matching for a same period ? (Although it may be ascertained that early printings might have been used at a date very well after their actual printing date). I presume you have also firstly checked the genuineness of those stamps and their plating as per, inter alia, Frealon Bibbins' book. Well, at first glance, those seem to be from a rather late period, i.e. well within the period of "chinese occupation" - 05/1951 - 03/1959.
And concerning the cancels, I have some doubts concerning the "Lhasa" one: one convincing detail is present, but not the other one !!!
And also: concerning this "postal tarification", this seems to be completely unquensequent.
Best, Edmond
So, no conclusion,just only a feeling, so do as you feel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic