Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Seal Document

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Seal Document
    Posted: 10 March 2014 at 4:43am
I have recently acquired a rather nifty Red Seal Document dated July 1846.  The document is endorsed on the back with several signatures at least three of which are of historically significant figures according to the translations that I have.  They are shown in the attached picture and numbered as follows:

1.  Kul Man Basnyat - I have no information about this individual.

2. Gagan Singh - a member of the coalition government of this time and alleged lover of Queen Laxmi Devi.  His murder set off the confrontation that ended in the Kot Massacre.

3.  Dala Banjan Pandey - the representative of powerful Pandey family in the coalition government.

4.  Ranajor Thapa - Another person who I lack information about.

5.  Jung Bahadur - the founder of the Rana dynasty of Prime Ministers and pivotal figure in Nepalese history.  He was at this time also a member of the coalition government.This signature is of course the highlight of the item.

I am curious if anyone has any information about Ranajor Thapa and Kul Man Basnyat.  I would think that especially anyone with a name that sounds like "Cool" Man has to be important. 

gemtree
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic