Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Tibet Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tibet-India, Pharijong-Darjeeling postmark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibet-India, Pharijong-Darjeeling postmark
    Posted: 02 April 2013 at 5:18pm
Greetings,

some time ago i have purchased the shown cover and only found time now to examine it a bit closer.

The Tibetan stamps are cancel by LHASA postmark, while the Indian ones at DARJEELING - PHARIJONG. I never heard from that postmark and someone told me that the Indian post office at Pharijong was a sub post office of Darjeeling

Any hint?

Edited by Rainer - 02 April 2013 at 5:19pm
Brian Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 3:44pm
Rainer,
 According to Haverbeck the 'PHARIJONG/DARJEELING' pmk with seven wavy lines appeared in 1949. It is illustrated on page 17 of his 1958 Revised Edition "Postal Stamps & Postal History of Tibet". 
He comments "So far only one example has been recorded".  So Rainer, your example must be relatively scarce!  I hope this helps.
Brian Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 3:58pm
Rainer,

I have just noticed that CHENNA2 in his post of 10 August 2012 illustrates another example dated March 1955.  Hellrigl states that the earliest recorded date is 24 Dec 1948.
Before these two examples I had never seen this postmark before.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic