Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Official and Wireless Telegraph Stamps, Essays etc...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harrer Essays, new discovery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harrer Essays, new discovery
    Posted: 12 November 2012 at 11:47am

I believe every Tibet collector is aware of the stamps Heimlich Harrer had, as is said, designed during his stay in Tibet. These Essays were printed, as it is reported in Waterfall and Dahnke’s Handbooks, during a Tibet Exhibition in Frankenau, Germany in form of a Miniature sheet of 3 stamps on thick paper.

I now have acquired a set of 3 folders, each containing a single essay, printed on thin paper, and as per the appearance, printed from a woodblock.

On front of the folders are the inscriptions.

Tibet Marke / Holzdruck nach Entwurf von Hans Harrer (E. f. Stahlstich):

Translated into english…

(Tibet Stamp, Woodprint from a Design by Hans Harrer (Design for Steel engraving)?)

I show one of the folders from front only, however, for m the other designs I show the printings.

Does someone know the history of these individual essays which are not mentioned so far in any catalogue/handbook?

Snow Lion View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 5:17pm
Hi !
This will not help very much, but of course, I have one of the sheetlet showing the 3 designs (1/ Wheel of Life - 2/ a Chörten - 3/ Tibetan National Flag)- And I remember I've informed Armand Singer of the meaning of the design of item 3/ - (Tibetan National Flag)(because in his book about essays etc...he did not know what that was), and which he after acknoweleged shortly to me. in a letter "Yes, that was evident !"
Otherwise, I have no information about "individual / single" prints of these "stamps" as you show.
My only one information is one from a letter of Heinrich Harrer Himself stating that the design of the "stamps" were prepared when he was in Tibet, but the printing of the "3 designs sheetlet" was made on the occasion of the 1959 Frankenau exhibition, which was to be guessed..
To add: None of those "stamps essays" mention anything relating to "postage": The first two (Wheel of life and chörten) only mention the facial value and "Tibetan Government", whereas the third one (Flag),
mentions also the "facial value", but also "Land of the Snows Tibetan Government"    Best !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic