Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Tibet Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Latest use Pharijong?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenna2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latest use Pharijong?
    Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:06am

This photo shows a cover from Lhasa to Kalimpong that was sent by registered mail and was correctly franked with a 4 trangka stamp, tied by Lhasa type VIII. Clearly printed on the brownish silky paper that was used for the final printings of the 4 trangka. At Pahrijong it was handed over to the British-Indian PO and was tied by the 7-wave cancel Pharijong, type B-9 (Hellrigl B18). The date is unclear as is often the case with this cancel. Only the month MARCH is visible. Most of the B-9 cancels never show a year figure, as it is also the case with this one. At Kalimpong the letter arrived on March the 28th of 1955. A very clear cancel has been applied.

I have checked several similar covers in my collection that followed the same route in 1955 and the covers among them which show a clear date show a 4 day trip between Pharijong and Kalimpong. If we deduct it from the the date on the cancel of Kalimpong it might have been sent from Pharijong on the 24th of March. 

Hellrigl states that this cancel can be found till the end of January. Indeed I have a nice one in my collection, this time clearly cancelled Jan 13, 1955. In Oct. 1999 G. Flack offered a cover with a date of March 12 1955.

The latest known date of the B-9 type is one of the 25th of March in YATUNG (ex. Bibbins). The Indian offices were officially closed on the 11th of April 1955. As to what I have seen this cover shown might be the latest use in Pahrijong that has been reported up to now. Has anybody seen an later use of Pharijong?

Edited by administrator - 10 August 2012 at 10:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic