Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nepal Red Seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nepal Red Seals
    Posted: 01 February 2012 at 4:11pm
I have just added 8 pages of Red Seal items from my collection to my web site at nepalstamps.com .  If this type of material is of interest to you, please take a look.  If you see any errors or have any suggestions, your feedback would be most welcomed.  
Thanks, Ed Gosnell 
Ed Gosnell
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 4:38pm
Thank you, Ed

this is interesting material. I invite you to see black seals of the Maharajas in return.

in German (from my website):
http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/Siegel-der-Maharajas.html

English translation (I hope it works):
http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bilder-aus-nepal.de%2FPages%2FGeschichte%2FSiegel-der-Maharajas.html

Johannes
Ed Gosnell View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 5:11pm
Dear Johannes,
I just read through your post on your web site about the the seals.  Thank you for the link.  The English translation worked well; and I greatly appreciate the information.  I also have several of the Black Seal Documents although I do not yet have a complete set.  They will be showing up as I put more of my collection online.  I have enjoyed looking at the material on your site and would strongly encourage the other members to take a look at it if they have not yet done so.  You have some really nice material.
Best regards, Ed
Ed Gosnell
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 8:16am
Dear Ed,
thank you for your very friendly words. It is a pity that all these documents with either red or black seals are not allowed to show in a philatelic exhibition - at least in Germany - even when the document is related to a philatelic item you show. Also photos are not allowed, and they do not like explaining text.

I can imagine, that philately which is also historically interesting, could inspire to collect postal history. I guess we would have more collectors Smile .

Just some thoughts coming to mind right now.
Greetings from Germany,
Johannes
Ed Gosnell View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 6:23am
Dear Johannes,
Fortunately such historical items are now being allowed to be included in US exhibits.  There is a fairly new exhibition form called the The Display Class that allows such items as long as they do not constitute more than 20% of the display.  American exhibits are now expected to follow something of a narrative structure to receive a higher level award.  The nonphilatelic items must advance this narritive and are judged by the same standards of rarity etc. as their philatelic counterparts.  Postcards, antique maps, contemporary photographs, autographs, coins, military medals, and even contemporary newspaper articles may be included.  Indeed, virtually anything genuine that advances the storyline of the exhibit is acceptable.  There was a wonderful display exhibit in the Champion of Champions Class at the APS StampShow 2011 last summer that related to slavery and the American Civil War.  It even included a set of slave chains which were affixed to the exhibition frame in a special plexiglass case.  This exhibit also included autographs of Abraham Lincoln and various other historial figures, as well as, the front page of a newspaper that was published in the few hours that Lincoln remained alive just after he was shot.  To be used all such items must be the original item and not a copy.  I personally think that this format is the future of stamp collecting.  As you indicate, such historical items can add much more depth to a collection and really bring it to life.  If you are interested, the rules for this exhibition class are included in the APS judging manual that can be downloaded from the American Philatelic Society web site at stamps.org .  
Best regards, Ed Gosnell
Ed Gosnell
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 10:56am
Dear Ed,
thank you for your posting. I am happy to read it. In Germany philately sometimes seems to me like collecting small coloured pieces of paper. You may show an item, but not the story around it. Though this is the interesting part, as you know.

Last year I showed my exhibition “Nepal, Classic Postal Stationery (1887-1959)”. Together with a postcard written by the German traveller Dr. Boeck (there are only 3 postcards he wrote in 1898) I had a small photo of him. They said: “this is not allowed” and deducted 5 points right away Ouch.

By the way, this exhibition you can see online on the website of the German Philatelic Association:

http://www.bdph.de/index.php?id=1289

I hope you like it,
Johannes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic