Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Nepal Cover with Chitwan pmk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Nepal Cover with Chitwan pmk
    Posted: 12 September 2011 at 6:24pm
What is your opinion on the shown cover.

The cover is franked with 3 classic Nepal stamps of various issues and canceled with Chitwan postmark (D110) and Kathmandu Postal Seal (S3).
Ed Gosnell View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 1:18am

At first glance, the cover looks genuine but philatelic to me.  Seeing the back of the cover would answer alot of questions.  Would you please post a picture showing the Chitwan D110 postmark?  I assume that it is on the back.  Also a clearer picture of the center stamp and its seal postmark would be helpful.  I have some very clear examples of this seal on registration documents for comparison.

Thanks, Ed Gosnell
Ed Gosnell
colinhepper View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 6:09am
My first reaction is that it is a fake, it looks too clean and normally there would be the address of the sender as well as the receipient on the front. There are other covers on Delcampe at the moment that look very similar but only have a single Pashupati stamp on them. These are listed as being fake covers.

Colin Hepper
colinhepper
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 9:03am

Here are other images..., i agree, the cover looks definitely NOT commercial, if genuine or faker i can not say as I do not have material on these postmarks for comparison.

I also do not see any reasons why the Chitwan postmark and the Kathmandu Postseal are together on the franking. 

What make me wonder as well are the stamps of apparently different issues as franking.

colinhepper View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 3:53pm
I keep having a look at your cover and although I am not very good at trying to read Nepali I cannot see the word Kathmandu in the address lines so why is there a Kathmandu date stamp on the back and there is no Chitwan date stamp to go with the seal cancels.  So I am still not convinced about it.

Colin Hepper
colinhepper
Ed Gosnell View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 8:21pm
Dear Rainer,
Are you sure there is a Chitwan date stamp.  If you are refering to the mark on the four anna green, I believe that is just a very indistinct application of the same Kathmandu seal.  If you look closely you can see that the white spaces in places match up exactly with the characters in the seal.  Incidently, I believe the seal cancel could well be genuine.  It matches up closely with an impression of one that I have on a registration document.  Also, the odd curved envelope flap is consistant with other envelopes used in India during the period.  It may be fake, but I am inclined to think that it is a philatelic item from the Classic Era.  A translation of the address might be helpful.
Ed Gosnell
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2011 at 11:13am

Dear Ed,

Actually, it well could be, now that you mentioned it. Maybe I was fooled due to the week imprint...

I do not have that cover so I can not inspect it myself; I was just asked what it is.

karlend View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 2:37am
Rainer,

Excuse me for a very basic question, but what does your "S3" refer to regarding the K'du Postal Seal? Where can I find this reference to see a clean copy of what it looks like?

thanks, Duane Karlen
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 5:15am
Dear Duane,

in 1982, the Germany Philatelic Society "Forschungsgemeinschaft Indien" had published a small catalogue by Wolfang Hellrigl, titled "A Catalogue of Nepalese Postmarks 1879 - 1935) and the postmarks in that catalogue are numbered on which i had based my description.

karlend View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 2:27am
Dear Rainer,

Thank you, that is good to know. I would like to obtain a copy of that publication.

The translation of the seal is Nepal HulakGhar or Nepal PostHouse (PostOffice) with a number 35 below. Is this number 35 the number of a certain post office location in Nepal?
karlend View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 1:36am
I was at a gathering yesterday with friends Homa Chetry and Doug Hall, and we looked at this cover together. The first line probably says it is sent by registered letter to Harisiddhi, which is an area of Lalitpur District (Patan). The second line requests that it be delivered to Man Bir "Jethan" (meaning wife's older brother.) There are a couple of spelling mistakes -  both Harisiddhi and Jethan are misspelled in Nepali. One possibility we discussed is that the person who wrote it was Newar and therefore not writing in his native language. The other is that the person just didn't know how to spell. 

The address lines look too clean and abbreviated for it to be a postally used cover.

Does anyone know how the date range of when the K'd S3 date seal was in use?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic