Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

unknown octagonal seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unknown octagonal seal
    Posted: 13 August 2011 at 3:17pm
Recently I could get a document with three seals:

http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/Jung-Bahadur-Siegel(3).html

The first oval seal belongs to Maharaja Jung Bahadur, the second round seal belongs to his brother Commander-in-Chief Bam Bahadur Kunwar Rana. The third octagonal seal looks like this:

A translator of this document once wrote it belongs to General Jay Bahadur. But I think there was never a “Jay Bahadur”. Has anybody an idea about the owner of this seal? Thank you,
Johannes
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2011 at 9:25pm
Dr. Ramesh Shresta shows a document with the same seals in his book “NEPALESE POSTAL HISTORY” on page 30. He also writes this seal belongs to General Jay Bahadur Kunwar Rana.

In between I think it belongs to Commanding General Maharajkumar Jeet Jung Rana who for sure was a son of Maharaja Jung Bahadur. So do not wrack your brains any more.

Johannes
Ed Gosnell View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 5:06am
I note in the book Nepal Under the Ranas that a listing is given for a General Jai Bahadur Konwar who was a cousin of Jang Bahadur and the Inspector General of Land Revenues.  He was implicated in an alleged plot to assassinate Jang Bahadur upon the maharaja's return from Europe in 1851.  Jai was then confined to the British fortress at Allahabad where he died of cholera in 1853.  According to the book, the assassination plot may have been fabricated by Jang Bahadur as an excuse to imprison a number of people that he felt might eventually challange his rule.
Ed Gosnell
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 5:12pm
Thank you very much, Ed Clap ! Now I also found Jai Bahadur and I read in the book "Nepal under the Ranas" about this incredible interesting complot of Jai Bahadur Kunwar, Badri Narsingh, Karbir Khattri and Prince Upendra Bikram Shah against Jung Bahadur. I guess you read it already in the book of Adrian Server. I wrote a summary of this complot for my website:

http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/Geschichte-5-(1846-1950).html

Maybe there is a good google-translation?
I show the seal here:

http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/Jung-Bahadur-Siegel(3).html

I will have to correct the date of the seal (I wrote ca. 1855) as Jai Bahadur died in 1853 concerning to the story. As this document deals with the developing of the postal system, this obviously was one of the very early things Jung Bahadur gave attention to. Very interesting!

So thank you again,
Johannes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic