Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Official court mail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruno LE PEUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official court mail
    Posted: 23 April 2011 at 3:31pm
The covers from the courts of Kerong and Kuti bears a large official handstamp. The Official courts opened in 1854-56.Do somebody knows when the courts start to use these handstamps?
I have some covers of the courts, all of them from 1901 to 1913.

Thanks for your answers,
Bruno

Bruno LE PEUT
Ed Gosnell View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2011 at 4:35am
Dear Bruno,
The seals that you refer to are dated "53" on the bottom which implies that the seals were made in 1896.  However, the earliest covers with which I am aware are from 1897.  I have an  example from the Kuti court dated September 1897 and from the Kerong court dated November 1897.  From my experience any covers showing dates prior to 1901 are particularly scarce.  These two courts remained opened until the 1950's.  I have a Kuti cover showing the court seal dated May 1956 and from Kerong dated January 1958.  It can be assumed that the courts were shut down no later than the complete Communist take over of Tibet in 1959.  Most of the court mail with which I am familiar seems to fall between 1902 and 1910.  Post 1940 court mail seems to be particularly scarce.  There was also a thrid court at Khasa, Tibet, which apparently operated between 1895 and 1896.  It is assumed to have shut down when the other two opened.  There are no known official court seals used on mail from Khasa.  Its mail was verified by the personal seals of the court officials.  Khasa covers are extremely rare.  I have only a single example in my collection.  The Kuti and Kerong seals were also used on court documents and as a from of letterhead on court letters.  I have examples of the Kuti seal impressed in red ink on court documents.  Hopefully, you will find this information useful.

If anyone has any court covers from before or after the ones I refer to above, I would be appreciative knowing their dates of use.

Best regards, Ed Gosnell
Ed Gosnell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic