Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Fakes, forgeries, altered and counterfied items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tibet fakes, Cherrystone, April 6-7, 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibet fakes, Cherrystone, April 6-7, 2011
    Posted: 30 March 2011 at 9:25am

The shown lot which is offered at the April 6-7, 2011 Cherrystone auction as lot 2104 was subject of a discussion between Cherrystone and me. The lot is described as:

1912-55 collection on lot sheets and pochettes, with most of the better stamps including several varieties (29 different of Scott's No.1-6, unused Scott's No. 7a,8a,8b), later both perf. and imperf. (45 incl. several blocks of four), color errors and "Potsage", also 26 covers incl. Officials, bisects and other specialty items, plus additional uncounted reference items.

Estimate: US-$ 2500

UNQUOTE

I have a severe problem with such a description and estimate as it indicates that the lot contains, based on the estimate of $ 2500 a good number of genuine stamps. Of courser, a experienced collector will notice it, but what about a less experienced. Of course, knowledge is power, but not everyone has all knowledge and in the past you could rely/trust the auction house. What is your opinion about it?

Yeti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 7:42pm
Hi Rainer!
I fully agree with your opinion! It is a shame we can´t trust even big auctionhouses today. A company in France recently sold a forged 1 sang "Officials" for about 300 euro, another wellknown in Switzerland sold a brown "Official"on pice, with the same forged LHASA pmk as Cherrystone´s cover, for about 200 (or more, I didn´t put exact sum in mind). A big auctionhouse in Germany now sold a set of 1933 stamps. Two were forgeries! They also sold a bisected cover for 420 euro having a forged PHARI postmark. Fortunately another faked combicover was unsold. It had a forged pmk from Pelti!!! Same kind of forged pmk used to produce modern sh*t forgeries on cover for sale at eBay.
It looks like a bumpy yakride for Tibetcollectors ahead!
The Yeti
Yeti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 7:44pm
For * read i
The Yeti
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic