Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calendar Converter Bikram Sambat to Gregorian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calendar Converter Bikram Sambat to Gregorian
    Posted: 13 October 2010 at 2:56pm

Maybe I am the only philatelist who is finding it difficult to convert the dates in Bikrma Sambat Calendar format found on old Nepal Covers into Gregorian date.

But, there is help. Long time ago I found a freeware computer program (Sorry, Microsoft Windows only).

That program can covert Bikram Sambat calendar dates into Gregorian and vise versa. Unfortunately I co not know the link where to download it anymore but I have a local copy on my computer. If someone is interested, please let me know.

Edited by Rainer - 13 October 2010 at 3:00pm
Eric Casagrande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Casagrande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 10:45pm
Rainer --

Here may be a useful link, which supposedly converts the dates both ways.

Eric Casagrande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Casagrande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 10:48pm
Here also is another one -- there are download options on the secondary page.

colinhepper View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 7:24am
The first one at nepalipatro.org is excellent and easy to use, the only disadvantage is that it does not work with dates before 1944.
colinhepper
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 8:22am

I somehow prefer the "off-line" versions installed on my computer since, especially when I am on business trips, Internet is often limited. But I agree, the mentioned sites/converters are very good.

gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2011 at 2:55pm
Dear Rainer,

there is also a nice converter for both ways:

BS dates -> english
englisch -> BS Dates

http://www.rajan.com/calendar/

But - sorry - a online converter.

Johannes
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2011 at 6:19am
Hi Rainer
Yes I would be interested in your calendar converter.

Regards

ColinSmile
colinhepper
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 3:04pm
May be we all have to learn the Nepal Sambat-Calender, as the Nepali government is thinking about introducing this calender. The reason: the Bikram Sambat-Calendar is dating back to an Indian King Bikramaditya Sambat, who gained a decisive victory in 57 BC. Now some members of the government  do not want to accept this calender as it is not a Nepali calender. The Nepal Sambat-Calender startet in October 879 AD. Now the year 1132 just startet…

With regards,
Johannes
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 6:45am
I have used this calendar converter since I downloaded it from rainer and find it to be a very useful and quick way to find the dates.

Colin Hepper
colinhepper
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 7:46am
Yes of course, no doubt. I just was telling what the Nepali government is dicussing for the future! This does not affect our interests. The dates of most philatelic items use the Bikram Sambat-Calendar. Though, the Nepal Sambat-Calendar was also in use until Maharaja Chandra Shumsher Rana declared the Bikram Sambat-Calendar as the only official calender for Nepal in 1903 AD (1960 BS ).

Johannes
karlend View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:33am
Has anyone found a BS calendar converter that works for dates earlier than the 1930's Gregorian. I am especially interested in converting some dates on old covers from BS 1936 through 1938 into Gregorian (1880's), but need the conversion to be precise, not approximate. 

Duane Karlen
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:45am
Duane,

i checked the program i have introduced at the start of the discussion.

i.e. (BS) 1936.1.1 relates to (AD) April 12, 1879. Is this accurate enough?

gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 4:05pm
Rainer,

I guess Duane is looking for an online converter. They all do not go beyond the 1930s. Am I right? Too bad the converter you mention is for Windows only (I have a MAC). I would love to use it…

Johannes
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 7:26pm
If someone is interested to have some "BS" dated converted, please send me a Email with the "BS" or "AD"  date in format "Month - Day - Year" or post the dates here in the forum...
karlend View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 2:47am
I have a Mac also. Rainer, do you know the name of the one on your computer? If so, I will try to find it with Google and download it to my work computer. Oh, and thanks for offering to convert dates. I will find a couple and take you up on your kind offer, but it will taken me a few days.
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 4:59am
Dear Duane,

the program is not on the Internet anymore but i had sent you a zip archive copy by Email.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic