Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Iran / Persia > Everything else related to Iran Philately
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOverland Mail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james_egypt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overland Mail
    Posted: 15 July 2006 at 7:18am

Hello,

My name is Ahmed, 31 y/o. I'm an advanced collector of Egyptian philately. Basically, I'm specializing in king Fouad issues (1923-1937).

Well, I have a question regarding Overland Mail & I would highly appreciate if someone could shed some light (as I have been trying for almost 6 months to find an answers for my questions with no luck!)

Q1) What was the Overland Mail RATE from Egypt to Persia during (1924-1929)??

Q2) What was the Overland Mail RATE from Egypt to Iraq during (1924-1929)??

Thank you ....

Cheers

Ahmed

Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 4:18am

Sorry, it took a while to get al the information as I do not specialize my self in that area, but with the help of some other collectors, here are the answers:

In 1923-24, mail to Lebanon and Iraq, countries with close ties to Egypt, was expedited by the use of an overland route" which was faster but more costly to operate than the sea route & "accordingly letters were charged an additional 5m per 20g at first for letters to Beyrout only, later to all of Lebanon & Syria, and an additional 15m per 20g to Iraq. "Red 'Motor Mail labels were issued to mark such letters, but until they became available, a manuscript endorsement in red in the upper left corner of the envelope was required. After a permanent air mail route was established in 1925, the overland route was eventually abandoned; however it was still functioning to Iraq and Persia until at least 1932 (the surcharge was reduced to 3m/50g."

Surface rates from Egypt to other countries taken from a table of Egyptian "UPU Surface Rates to Other Countries:"
Apr 1, 1921 letters 15m/20g; 2nd wt stage 10m; PC's 10m; Prints 4m/50g; Periodicals 4m/50g (includes commercial papers for which a minimum of 15m); Reg. 15m; AR 15m.

In July 1926 the rates for both Prints & Periodicals change to 2m/50g.

The rates to GB in 1921 are slightly lower as a result of an earlier reciprocal agreement.

This info is taken from Peter Smith, "Egypt: Stamps & Postal History," pp 547-548, if you need a page reference.

Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 1:59am

Dear Ahmed,

What came to my mind only today, you were talking about the overland mail rate.., well, if you mean the Overland Mail Baghdad Haifa, run by the Nairn brothers, the surcharge for the same was 15 M.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic